SECTION ONE : SECONDARY SCHOOL - Alice in Wonderland
For selected student who have donated fabric the brief is - Alice in Wonderland Inspired
Judges will be looking for design skills, creative use of commercial patterns, fashion awareness and a high level of technical skills. Entries must be suitable for secondary school age group. If you wouldn’t wear it, don’t make it.
If you would like donated fabric please contact us.
The following is a list of guidelines The Australian Wool Fashion Awards Committee see essential for all students withdonated fabric:
1. Only .60m of extra fabric can be used (this does not include lining). Extra fabric need not be wool.
2. Students/Parents are required to supply lining, threads, patterns etc.
3. Seams to be suitable for the chosen fabric. You should press all seams as you sew.
4. Understitching around neck facings, collars etc.
5. Trim bulk seams.
6. All seams must be sewn and overlocked in thread to match fabric.
7. If using lining in jackets it should have action pleat in the back.
8. Lining must have an ease pleat at bottom of jacket and sleeve edges.
9. Correct woven interfacings to be used.
10. Buttonhole laps to be correct way (right over left for women, the reverse for men). This applies to zips also.
11. No invisible zips, they don’t stand up to the stress.
12. Facings to be secured at the seams only.
13. All entries should be commercially pressed before being submitted for judging, but please be careful if you have dyed or beaded your entry as we have had a few tragedies, if in doubt don’t! Press it well yourself with a pressing cloth over beads.
14. Your entry MUST be a style suitable for your own age group and be current fashion not old fashion (see magazines and web sites for ideas). Google Fashions on the Field and Victorian Derby Day for ideas.
15. Garments are worn up to 70 times, and must be made well to stand the stress! Sew buttons and beads on well, double seam pants and stress points
16. Please send jewellery (but for health reasons absolutely NO pierced earrings)
17. Please send shoes to complete the look (Size 7-11)
18. Your garment may not be returned for up to twelve months. Our sponsors AWI will be using our entries for wool promotion. Please take photos, video or have school mark your entry for assessment before you send them to us. If your garment is not selected for parade, we endeavour to return your garment as soon as we physically can, please do not ring and ask for it back.
Construction techniques - 50%
Design skills - suitability for age group, creative, colour, fashion awareness 35%
Portfolio - details of pattern changes, presentation suggestions 5%
SECTION TWO: YOUNG DESIGNER AWARD
Open to designers under 30 years of age enrolled at a Tertiary Institute or have completed a Fashion course at a Tertiary Institute. Your are required to make six (6) looks for any occasion. Judges will be looking for young innovative designs with superior technical skills. Three finalists will be announced on Awards Presentation Night to proceed further. Details yet to be announced.
Fabric at cost price will be available to entrants wishing to enter this section. Details available soon.
Construction techniques - 50%
Design skills - suitability for age group, creative, colour, fashion awareness 40%
A detailed portfolio must accompany your entry and include.
1. Title page with entry number
3. Fabric construction - ie you have knitted, spun, weaved or dyed your own fabric- show evidence
3. Garment Construction - ie was it your own design or commercial pattern or the use several commercial patterns - provide evidence
4. Must be word processed- presented in a creative way ie scrap booking or use of a portfolio
5. Detailed portfolio as used by school and tertiary colleges can be sent
6. Within your portfolio you must acknowledge sources of inspiration or information ie websites, magazines and people
All Scholarships are available to year 12 students who wish to study fashion in 2014. Please make sure you indicate your year of study and intentions on the entry form or you may be overlooked for these scholarships.
Supreme Award will be chosen from first prize winners from every section only.
Your garment/s may be including in TAWFA's travelling collection. Because of this commitment your entries might not be returned for other competition or school parades. TAWFA has many parades nationally following presentation night.
No garment or accessory will be taken or be available from backstage without prior permission.
Non finalist garments will be returned as soon as possible, because we leave on tour immediately after presentation night this may take a while.